Each of the seven days of Kwanzaa is dedicated to one of the following principles, as follows:
- Umoja : To strive for and to maintain unity in the family, community, nation, and race.
- Kujichagulia : To define ourselves, name ourselves, create for ourselves, and speak for ourselves.
- Ujima : To build and maintain our community together and make our brothers’ and sisters’ problems our problems, and to solve them together.
- Ujamaa : To build and maintain our own stores, shops, and other businesses and to profit from them together.
- Nia : To make our collective vocation the building and developing of our community in order to restore our people to their traditional greatness.
- Kuumba : To do always as much as we can, in the way we can, in order to leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than we inherited it.
- Imani : To believe with all our hearts in our people, our parents, our teachers, our leaders, and the righteousness and victory of our struggle.